The Core Technology team is responsible for the creation and maintenance of Clearswift’s Content Inspection and Policy Enforcement technology.
This technology encompasses such facilities as true file type identification, Textual Analysis and Image Analysis which are used for such things as identifying sensitive material and whether an image is appropriate for the workplace. These fundamental inspection capabilities are brought together in the MIMEsweeper Policy Enforcement Engine which along with its recursive decomposition algorithm creates a uniquely flexible policy definition and enforcement capability. This approach combines the security assuredness demanded by the defence and intelligence community with the flexibility required by commercial enterprises.
Developing such technology presents a number of challenges beyond simply providing the functionality. The system must be secure and free from vulnerabilities; high levels of performance are required to meet the demands of processing web traffic without affecting the user experience; and it must scale to the point that it can process multi Gigabyte files. Such requirements are met through the use of solid engineering principles and the adoption of a multi-process architecture where the individual processes employ multithreading techniques that exploit the latest multicore processor architectures.
The team has recently completed a major update to address emerging market requirements and is in the process of planning the next phase of development to build upon the foundations that have been laid. This further expansion creates an opportunity for a technically minded and accomplished Software Engineer to join the team where he or she will be expected to play a key hands-on role in the further development of the technology and the team. This will involve leading the development of specific features and mentoring junior members of the team as well as making personal contributions to design, implementation and test.
- Lead the development of specific features
- Participate in team planning, status and review activities
- Design and implement new features
- Perform code reviews
- Produce and execute unit tests
- Mentor junior members of the team
- Contribute to and review project documentation
- Resolve functional and non-functional defects.
- Experience of leading the development of a significant product feature
- 5+ years’ experience of coding in C++
- Demonstrable experience of designing information processing product features
- Experience of developing for Windows and/or Linux platforms (ideally both)
- Ability to quickly identify the cause of technical issues and devise solutions
- Experience of developing for robustness and performance
- Experience of developing multi-threaded solutions
- Experience of developing comprehensive unit tests
- Understanding of development life cycle (waterfall or Agile).
- Experience of using UML
- Experience of Internet protocols such as SMTP and HTTP
- Knowledge of working with major data formats such as PDF, Microsoft Office and images
- Experience of working with JAVA
- Experience of using Unit Testing frameworks.
- Clear and concise communication skills (verbal and written)
- Good analytical skills that can be applied to complex problems
- Employs methodical and structured working practices
- A self-starter with a “can-do” attitude
- Ability to guide and encourage others.
- B.Sc. or equivalent in Computer Science or Mathematics.
The job is located at our offices in Reading, Berks.